Friday, May 9, 2008

We are on our way!!!


By the time you read this post, we will be meeting Stacey and John in Newark and on our way to Beijing. Everything is ready and packed and I am on my way to bed in just a minute. I honestly cannot believe the day has finally arrived. A great giant thank you to my mother-in-law, Marion, who came over twice to help me get all the pesky things into the right baggies (with labels of course :)). And to Kathy, who is going to help me hold down the fort at home while we are gone. And to my sister, Sue, who brought me just the right carry-on. We couldn't do it without everyone's support.

Mary Alice was asked to bring along "Flat Brittany", a take off on the "Flat Stanley" series of books where a child gets mailed around the world. Marion works with a student whose class made these tiny dolls and sent them off on adventures with people who are traveling. Our charge is to take pictures of Flat Brittany in China, to share with the real girl back home. Mary Alice already made a full Chinese wardrobe for Flat Brittany.The adventure is just beginning...... Here she is....



Now that the bags are packed and all that needs to be done is get up and get going, I have a wonderful sense of calm and excitement. Ling, you have no idea how your life is going to change (neither do we) but we promise you this, we will welcome you into our hearts and lives with great joy and humbleness that God should have led us all the way across the ocean to you.

Update from the Newark Airport:

We are now sitting at the Newark Airport, at the Beijing Gate. Everyone woke up happy, worked together and got out the door in record time. I only had to go back home one time (yes, I made the cabbie turn around) because we left the porch lights on. All-in-all, I have to say this was my best packing job ever. We are frequent fliers as a family, going yearly to Georgia and Florida, annual campers and last year, we had the good fortune to test our long distance flying skills to Hawaii. The kids are both able to get things packed that they need to feel comfortable. Mary Alice looks so cute with new pink quilted, rolling duffel and matching handbag.

It's hard to believe that we will leave here as a family of four and come home a family of five.

The cats were very curious about all the activity (at 3:00 AM this morning). They couldn't figure out why we were up in the middle of the night, especially because I had just gone to sleep 3 hours ago.



I was sitting in front of in front of a little Asian girl. Her mom told us she was 3 1/2 years old, just like Ling. She is so giggly and chatty. Matthew asked me if Ling will be like that. I don't know, but her personality sure seems like it. It won't be long now. Soon we will be meeting up with Stacey & John and their son, Mike, and become a family of seven!

1 comment:

Mikenjane said...

Bon voyage! Have a wonderful time in Beijing!

Jane, Mike, Ani and Elia