Friday, December 10, 2010

Last Post From China

I can hardly believe it. The final 10 hours before we leave for the airport. I will be amazed if everything makes its way back into the suitcases. If only things would pack themselves. Here is a list of the things I am so glad I brought to China:

  • Eric, Marion & the kids. It was wonderful to have each one of them with us, and even though it was hard at times, having the whole family together was such a blessing and worth every penny.
  • The food. I brought granola bars, Nutrigrain Bars (for Matthew), Sunbutter, Oatmeal packs, Smarties, candy canes, Poptarts and tuna packets. I wish I had brought 2 boxes of Nutrigrains for Matthew and another box of oatmeal. We could have used it.
  • Paper plates, bowls, plastic forks and spoons. I wish I had thought to bring some napkins. We went through tons of tissues during our snacks and meals.
  • Small water bottles for the little girls to carry. It was just enough for the daily outings and to use with meals. They both drank lots of water.
  • Playdoh. This was a huge hit (as you can see from the photos below).
  • Two half empty packs of wipes. One for the backpack and one for the room.
  • Two laptops. I worried about carrying both, but it wasn't a problem and was a necessity!
  • A power strip. I know I could get this from the hotel, but it was just so easy to have my own.
  • 3 cameras. It was great to get the photos from everyone's perspective.
  • Anti-biotics. Both trips we used at least three of the five z-packs we brought.
  • Band-aids. Good for soothing tender boo boos, even if you can't see them.
  • Nail polish. Good for sister bonding and nurturing. Plus, lots of compliments from other people.
  • Earplugs. Highly recommended for ultimate deep sleep, especially on the plane and sharing rooms.
  • Patience and a sense of humor. These were both very essential throughout the trip and if I had left them behind, who knows what would have happened.
This is a video from yesterday, when the girls were playing with the bubbles.



Here are some photos from Playdoh playtime.
Modeling the jewelry!
Gramma, what's this????
Rudolph, is that you?? 
This is the upside down 1000 piece puzzle.
This was something I was surprised to see.
We had to get a picture here. We ate at Oggi's everyday. They had great Italian food. If you are traveling to Guangzhou, and stay at the Garden, it is easily walkable. 
We ate at the one in the Yuexiu District @ 1 Tianlun Garden, Jianshe 4 Road. They also have take out and delivery.

This is the bathroom in the health club on the 4th floor. It is so beautiful like this all over the hotel.
Megan makes friends everywhere. This is on the playground, also on the 4th floor, behind the pool.
This is our daily dinner routine. Typically, our breakfast was the buffet around 9am, our main meal was at  Oggi's around 2pm and a light dinner for the girls in the room each night. Eric got the big kids and him and Marion fast food each night. That has not been the healthiest diet, so we are looking forward to eating some normal, non-fried foods!
And this is our Brown Envelope. It contains the immigration info for Shanna to enter the US when we land in Newark. We are supposed to hand it to the customs/immigration officer when we arrive. Grace told us that one family opened it and had to RETURN TO GUANGZHOU to have it resealed!!!!!
We will NOT open it.
I was a little nervous about the next step being hard on Shanna, but she seems very eager to get on with it. We have been using lots of sign language with her and after I had the girls in bed, when I explained what would happen the next day (wake up early, get dressed, eat and go on the airplane) she signed along with me and said "Fei gee" which means airplane. Then I told her that we would go to our house. I said would you come to my house to live with me? And she nodded and said "Thank You!!" which made me laugh and made me think she really understands. She loves that photo album of us and she looks at it all the time. Wait until she sees her home for real. That will be another photographic moment.

Well, I cannot delay the packing any longer. We will see you on the other side of the North Pole. Again, anyone in our hometown area is welcome to join us at the airport. We will be arriving at 8:30PM Saturday 12/11 on Continental/Colgan from Newark.

Linda, who is very glad to be on the way home!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It all sounds great! I hope you have a good trip, we can't wait to meet Shanna. Willa has been following your blog with great interest, too. Linda, I love your list!! Hella

Anonymous said...

I have SO enjoyed your wonderful posts during your China trip! Thank you very, very much for sharing with us! I'm looking forward to hearing about the next phase in Shanna's life. You are so blessed to have found each other.
Marcy

Sharon said...

Linda, it has been such a joy to follow along with you on this amazing journey to bring Shanna home!

I am looking forward to seeing photos of her in her HOME SWEET HOME!! :)

Praying for safe, uneventful travels!

Paula - Running Mom of 5 said...

Linda,

I am so happy for Shanna and for your family! I was very interested to read about your son's peanut allergy. My daughter is allergic to peanuts and we did not think we would be able to travel to China with her. We would love to take our whole family back for a homeland tour someday. When you are home and rested, I would love to chat with you about how you handled the allergy on the trip.

Paula (Mom to Ben from Shantou)

Anonymous said...

Safe travels, my friends! :-D

Love,
Stacey

Louanne said...

Following your journey has been wonderful. I also love that you guys brought the menorah. Very sweet.

We are totally bringing playdough and I liked everything else on your list based on our prior trips. Be safe coming home and I will be checking back for updates.

Kaja said...

Thank you for the little looks in your first days as a new family. Save travels and lots of love and luck!

Kaja
Netherlands