Saturday, December 4, 2010

A Day of Medical Exams

Fun in the room. Yes, it's a mess, despite my efforts to keep it neat!

Because it's the hangout place.
Megan was brave enough to try the pool, yesterday. It was FREEZING. She still got all the way in!
Here we have joined the other families from BAAS who were in different provinces last week. Now we are all in Guangzhou doing the US part of our adoptions. We are on the way to the medical appointment for the children's checkups.
The other one is a better photo, but missed Shanna, so I had Grace take it again.
Here are some more of the buildings in the city of Guangzhou.
Many of them are 10 or more stories high and have gardens on the roof.

Another couple getting their photo taken.
Waiting to get in the exam room. This process took about 3 hours. First the children had their photos taken for the visa, then we waited in line about an hour.


Here is a video of the room. Again, turn your speakers down-its very loud. It's about 30 secs so it may take a while to load.


This is the ENT room. Ears, nose, throat checked. Ok. Although she seems to have caught Megan's cold and is sneezing a lot.
General check, heart, lungs, stomach, etc. All ok.
Height and weight. All ok. Then she had the TB test, which so far looks fine. We will go back on Monday to have it read.
More city sights. So tall!
and beautiful.

We were all tired afterwards. We had a little excitement when we all got on the big bus after the appointment and started to drive away and realized that we forgot Matthew!! He was across the (very small, narrow) street looking at something, and he noticed that the bus was pulling away. Eric spotted him as Matthew spotted us. I just couldn't believe it!!! I said "AAAAhhhhhhhh!!!! AAAAAAAhhhhh" half joking, half serious ----as I couldn't believe I almost left my child alone in China. I mean we joked about exchanging children but did not really mean it!!!!! Apparently, Matthew thought we were teasing him by pulling away without him, but I was so busy keeping track of the little ones, I never thought to check for the big ones!!
We had some tears this afternoon, when Megan borrowed Shanna's brown Twistable crayon. Shanna just did not want to share that crayon and she really cried and even threw the bag with the rest of the in it. She was saying lots of Chinese words, that I could not understand, but I wiped her tears and held her in the bedroom alone, and she recovered quickly. I spent some time looking at her photo albums and she became very animated for that. Also, she showed me her artwork and labeled many things for me with signs and gestures.

Speaking of Sign language. I meant a woman today, adopting her 7th and 8th children, a boy 13 and a girl 10. She is here with her (I believe 8 year old) son adopted 2 years ago. All three are deaf and use Chinese sign language!! Mom is an interpreter for the deaf and all 5 of her other children at home are hearing but also can sign. She said it was not a big deal for her to do what she is doing. Amazing. The kids seem to be doing very  well together.

So now it's time again to find some dinner and hopefully get the children ready for bath and bed early tonight. I still feel like I am not getting enough sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm reading everything, even if I don't have a chance to comment. : )

Thanks for the signs, the translations are so funny!

Glad Shanna is still doing so well and has only gotten upset once so far, and that this trip seems a bit easier than the one we took together almost three years ago!

About those really noisy rooms....does the word cacophony mean anything to those people? Isn't this stuff hard enough on the kids without the utter chaos of mindbendingly LOUD rooms to meet your new family in and have your check-ups in? sheesh!

Hugs to all!
Stacey