Monday, December 13, 2010

A Bumpy Re-entry

We have now been home a little over 24 hours. It was great to see familiar faces of friends and family greeting us at the airport. Shanna loved them all and simply was radiant, smiling on everyone, even people we didn't know, but then, how would she know that?

When we pulled in the driveway, she said "OOOHHHH" in recognition and pointed out her and Megan's window and Mary Alice's. She knew the outside of house from the pictures I sent. She explored everything in detail and was particularly interested in the cats, and squealed with delight at their purring attention. We tried to get them showered and in bed quickly, which ended up to be about 10:30pm. Shanna was coughing quite a bit and at 12:30am I got up to help her. The cat jumped in bed with us and this sent her into squeals of laughter, which went on until I knew it would wake Megan, which of course it did, despite my shushing. Since Matthew was still up, as he couldn't sleep, he came in to see what was going on. He tried taking Shanna downstairs to play for a while but eventually all four of us ended up downstairs for a snack. At 3:30 am I put everyone back to bed and we slept until 10:30.

Although Shanna did not sneeze anything out of her nose in customs this trip (if you don't know this story, you can see this link from last trip), one bump was when Shanna fell down the escalator in Newark!! Somehow, everyone went ahead of me (in our rush to get to customs after the long flight (12.5 hours for those who wonder) and I was with the two girls. I held something in one hand and Shanna's hand in the other and Megan ran up to catch my hand with something in it. I fumbled, she hesitated, Shanna stepped on, and I followed, and Megan didn't. So somehow Shanna tumbled backwards (we were going up). I tried to catch her, while the escalator was rising, and she fell down more stairs. I have no idea how I righted her, but somehow I got her on her feet, and she was very shaken and crying. She had a small scrape on her ankle, but otherwise was okay physically. Emotionally, it took her a while to regain her confidence. Megan was stunned to see me disappear up the escalator, but there was nothing I could do but call for her and hope someone helped her on. Some nice man picked her up and carried her up to me. There were lots of people on the escalator as it was very crowded with everyone coming off the big plane, but everyone seemed frozen to their spot watching it unfold. That was very terrible but luckily wasn't worse.

Another bump was when we got home and discovered that our sump pump did not work and our basement flooded, soaking our rug and the various toys and shelves scattered about. Most things were in plastic bins and were spared, but some weren't. Eric spent today ripping up the carpet and trying to clean up the water. It is stinky and yucky and totally disruptive.  We have laundry and luggage everywhere, and now toys that had a home are spread around in places I don't really want them. I did get out the gates again to contain curious children (we are now calling them the Squirrel Girls) and am thankful that I did not give them away earlier (the gates, not the Squirrels). :)

Our neighbors and close friends gave a small party for our friends and family to meet Shanna tonight and that was very fun and relaxing. Again, Shanna really enjoyed meeting everyone and sharing her smile.

We have her doctor appointment tomorrow, thank goodness, as I listen to her horrible coughing, and hopefully we will figure out how to help her feel better quickly.

Someone commented on my post about Oggi's and how it sounded like I was doing a commercial for them. Well, I kind of was!!! Many adoptive families are reading this blog and I described it in such detail so those traveling after us to Guangzhou could have an idea of where to go. There are a few other families with children with food allergy and this kind of sharing is so helpful to all of us. So "Go Oggi's!!"

Here are a few photos from the trip home.

Waiting to board in Beijing

Always laughing together.
Very blurry photo taken with my phone (not what the rest of the photos were taken with) and disappointing, before the big flight but kind of how we felt anyway, so okay. We had to recheck our check luggage (7 pieces) 3x, once in Guangzhou, again in Beijing, and again in Newark (after coming through customs). Very big pain with 5 carry ons and 4 backpacks. We were constantly counting everything. Including children.
Here is a video of the first few minutes of Shanna exploring the room. She did this all through the bathroom, kitchen, family room. You will get the idea....

And another short one.

Happy to be home.
The cake from our party. Thank you!!!!
and just because the story isn't honest unless I tell it all, just before we went to the party, Shanna gave Megan a little nip on the hand, probably because Megan was "helping" her in some way. Megan was very calm about it and told Daddy in a matter of fact, but not really blaming way. Because of the previous problem I had with the standoff promoted by my forcing an apology, I took a different tack and said (with signs) "Oh Shanna, Mommy is so sad that you bit Megan. You hurt her." and then I hugged Shanna while saying "Sorry, Megan, Shanna is sorry". And indeed she was, as her immediate tears attested. There was no pout or struggle though. After an appropriate hugging time, I just told her not to do that again and to get ready to go to the party. Tomorrow I will remind her to use her words.
Do I look tired or what??? Goodness.
The basement before we left.
And now.....

I can't add the smell, but I assure you, it's bad. And while I was taking these photos, my cat laid on my keyboard and opened about a hundred Google Help windows. I wonder what she was looking for??
 Once again, I am the last one up. I doubt I will be able to sleep at all for worrying about Shanna coughing. I am pretty sure she is doing it in her sleep. I taught her how to call for me, by telling her to say "MOM-MMY" while I stand in various places in and out of the room and downstairs, then coming when she calls. I learned that from having Megan that the kids cared for in orphanages never call because they don't know they can, so they suffer in silence and I had found Megan crying silently a few times in her bed before I realized what was happening. I am not sure, but last night, when I went to check on Shanna because she was coughing, I think she might have been crying. Her face was a little wet. She might have been sweaty, but she did not smile when she looked at me, and her eyes were open. She was quiet and subdued (this was right before the gails of giggled that erupted when Jasmine jumped on the bed with us) but still I thought it would be best to teach her that I will come if she calls me, and she seemed happy to practice this skill.

Turns out I am not the last one up, as Mary Alice is too. I wonder how long before we get back to a normal sleep schedule. I am going to flip the laundry and try and sleep. Okay, now Shanna, Megan, Eric, Mary Alice and me are all up (at 1:11am.) I just spent 15 minutes giving Shanna a nebulizer treatment because her coughing was so bad. I could hear that same kind of cough as when Matthew and Mary Alice were little and were having trouble breathing. This seemed to help her a lot, as she is not coughing now. She DID NOT want it and tried to push it away, but finally, we distracted her with a book (thank goodness Eric helped) and she finished it. She really likes this Nursery Rhyme book we have and she enjoys singing along with it. Now I wonder how long it will be before I sleep tonight......

People are constantly expressing amazement about this blog and asking how I do this? No matter how tired I am, I make the time, because I think it is important. Why?

1. It helps me process all the events, like a journal.
2. I love to go back and read it- It helps me remember all the fine detail I would otherwise forget.
3. I love to share it with others.  And I love hearing they enjoy it.
4. The kids love to look at it now, and in the future I can share it with the girls so they remember.
5. It's just fun.

and yes, I back it up!

Linda, who despite all the challenges, is ever so thankful for her family.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda. I LOOOOOOOOOVE reading yor blog! We are in the middle of our second adoption from China- almost ready for I800A. My aunt will be traveling with me this time, and so I passed along your blog so she could see how adoption trips go as we prepare to travel this summer or fall. We both really enjoy it. I was in China this time last year and so it brings back memories. I got a kick out of the portable menorah! Keep up the bloggin', mama! :)

Anonymous said...

Welcome home! Been thinking about you all weekend. : )

I'm really sorry to hear about the escalator incident. I'm so glad it wasn't worse. Those things are dangerous!

And sorry about the basement flood. That really stinks! (Pardon the pun.)

We are all looking forward to meeting Shanna and seeing you all again. : )

Stacey

Anonymous said...

Linda,

Welcome back! Oh, how joyful to hear how she responded to everyone and your home as she explored everything with excitement and giggles.

I'm so sorry to hear that your basement flooded. Such a very frustrating thing to encounter when you come home jet lagged.

Oh, how scary about the escalator fall. I'm glad everyone is okay physically.

Thanks so much for all the tips and for sharing your adoption journey with us.

All the best,

Sharon said...

WELCOME HOME!!!! :) What a fabulous trip! The videos are so cute of Shanna!

So thankful Shanna is now home where she belongs.

Hope to have great news for you soon! :)

Hugs!

Louanne said...

Thanks so much for sharing your story. I have loved it and I feel the same way about blogging. It also helps we later when I actually print photos to put them in the scrapbooks.

Mike and Barb said...

I so enjoyed meeting your family in person! That little Megan is such a sweetheart, and I'm sure she'll be a big help for her sister!
But now I want to know how you back up your blog!!!! Help!
Barb