Thursday, March 5, 2009

March Update

I did not think I could get busier, but turns out, I could. Three kids with three sets of needs creates a busy mom. We are enjoying our various activities and obligations, and have our share of ups and downs. We were deeply saddened by the plane crash in NY last month and are close friends with a family that were directly affected. There is little that we can do, but reach out our arms and hold them and offer to help in whatever small way possible. It really grieves me to see them and the other families go through this tragedy, and of course, it makes me value my precious life all the more.

Megan Ling is developing so quickly. She has really turned from a toddler into a competent four year old. I came downstairs this morning to find her alone at the kitchen table, eating a bowl of granola that she poured herself (thank goodness she did not try to pour the gallon of milk). She looked so proud of herself and it made me smile. Of course, later she came to me and excitedly told me a story about Floor and Eat! and then Come! and she took me upstairs to show me an empty wrapper from a Ricola throat drop that she apparently found and swallowed in the 30 seconds that I did not have my eye on her!! Overall, she is much more reliable and trustworthy to know what is okay and what isn't, but she still has so much to learn! And apparently, so do I!

Her language has finally reached the level where she can communicate some simple stories and ideas without the people and the things present (apparently cough drop was not in her vocabulary-thus the Come, See! command). She told me that she wanted to have a play date with two of her friends from preschool, so I set it up for last Saturday. It was a busy and exciting morning, and Megan Ling was very pleased. The girls are nice role models for her and take care of her so well. They help her understand the basics of play. Unfortunately, I was so tuned into the supervision that I forgot to take a picture and will have to do it next time.

I have been learning about the options for Megan Ling for next year. She is turning 5 in July and thus is Kindergarten age. Our school district offers wonderful programming for children with special needs and Megan Ling will continue along this track for a while longer. She will qualifynext year as a child with Speech/Language Impairment and will probably attend a local public school with a self contained Kindergarten program; 15 students and 1 special ed teacher, geared towards kids with primarily language delays. Speech and OT push into the classroom to allow for a true team approach to instruction. Mainstreaming with age peers for lunch and specials is part of the program from the beginning and students are increasingly mainstreamed when ready. Even if Megan Ling spends two years at the Kindergarten level, I think this will be a great help to her. I made the mistake of telling her already about Kindergarten and the bus and she has asked me EVERY day about 10x a day about it in excited anticipation. "Megan Bus?" "not mama bus" "not Mary bus" not Matt-Matt bus" "just Megan bus" "Kah kah gah gah.......?" over and over. I can't get the idea of "next year" across..... well, you get the point. I am glad she is happy about it.

We have decided to try and call her Megan Ling, since she can now pronounce both and she has told me several times that she prefers this. It's hard to get used to, but I think it is very pretty sounding and I am happy to do it if it makes her happy. (her name was Ling Ling in China). We talk a lot about China, and one day she was looking at one of the photos she has of a nanny with her and some other children. She said "Ohhhh...Mama!" while pointing to her, and the way she said it, I knew she was not referring to me. I asked her if she called the woman Mama and she said "Yes!" then she asked me to "call Mama" and I said I did not know her number. This did not phase Megan Ling, she just said "Call online!" which is what she says when she wants to talk via skype with my mom and sister in law! I was floored by all of this, and have since asked some Chinese people, and other moms who adopted from the same orphange, and they have confirmed that the kids, in fact, did call their nannies Mama. I guess it means that as Megan Ling's language develops, she may be able to remember and tell us more things about her past. I want to honor any requests she makes the best I can, so if Megan Ling is what she wants, Megan Ling it is!

Matthew is doing well. He went to his first dance (with his girl friend) in February. The French Club dance called "La Boum". Apparently, it was a big success, as they are going to another dance, a "Charity Ball" in a few weeks. And yes, he is now taller than me....


Here they are having fun having their hair done by Megan Ling.


Cate has encouraged Matthew to try all kinds of new activities in school, including French Club, selling tickets for school events, writing for the Young Playwrighter's group, tongue twister contests and talking endlessly on the telephone. He participated in Science Olympiad regional finals last week and came home with a gold medal and 2 bronze. Also, we were pleased to learn that he earned a top score on a regional Math test, given at his college math program. Although he forgot to tell me this information, it was okay, as I read it in the quarterly newsletter that the program sends out. :)

Mary Alice and Grandma spent one day of vacation making a quilt together. Mary Alice did all the sewing. It is a beautiful piece of art and very cozy. Here is a picture and a slide show of it.





Here is one of the cats; being weird.



Inspired by the quilters, I made these pajamas for Megan.


This slide show is a collection of photos taken from Megan Ling, from her point of view. For some reason, it loops twice, but I don't have the time or patience to fix it and you can just press the stop button when you are done with it.





This is a video of the Chinese New Year Celebration we went to. It's very loud, you may want to turn the volume down :) Megan is visible about 1/2 way through on the left. The one in black that tries to help her is Mary Alice, but of course, Megan Ling will have none of it.... :)



This is Mary Alice's friend, Abby, playing the clarinet. Not her typical posture, but funny. She agreed to being blogged.....

And here, of course, is Megan Ling, trying to do what the big girls do.


Megan's "big dog" eating breakfast......



Grandpa & Iris



and a beautiful Orchid, given to me by one of my organizing clients.



All in all, a very busy 6 weeks. I cannot believe how time flies. I am falling behind on my vacuuming and bathrooms, but as my dear friend Michele says, it shows that I am focusing on the important things and nourishing the family's soul. Happy Spring.

2 comments:

Coco Lizana said...

hi linda
loved the update. hard to believe it's been almost a year since we brought the kids home!!! chichi's doing well in school, he still has a problem with spelling though. he has forgotten all chinese and can no longer talk to the people at the chinese restaurant. :( we are still calling him chichi. at school everyone calls him leo though. :)

Amy said...

Wow, Linda. I am always amazed that you find the time to give such great and thorough updates with all that you have going on! You are definitely in the right business! :)

So fun catching up on what's going on with you guys!

Spring's on it's way, can't you just feel it?!

Love,
Amy